Tour: guided 4×4 jeep trail tour in the mountains
Package: add a half day raft trip in Durango
4×4 Packages are priced with a 10% discount.
The preferred itinerary shown below is based on our 30+ years of experience. Nonetheless, we are happy to customize this package for you. Just give us a call to break up the trips over multiple days or to find out about alternative trip times!
See more photos of the 4×4 jeep trail tour.
Spend time high in the rarified air of the La Plata range of the San Juan Mountains just 15 miles west of downtown Durango. This open air 4×4 vehicle winds up and through La Plata Canyon for 14 rugged miles reaching the majestic views from Kennebec Pass at over 12,000ft. Along the way your guide will explain the canyon’s mining history such as the vanished La Plata City town site from 1875 and hear about characters like Olga Little, one of the world’s only woman mule skinner’s. Also learn about the native Ute people, the areas geology as well as flora and fauna of the San Juan Mountains. Paired with our popular half day Animas River raft trip you can’t miss with this Durango classic: Raft & 4×4!
- 8 AM 4×4 Tour
- 1:30 PM Raft Trip
- 4×4 and Raft: $125.10/adult $98.10/child
- Just the 8am 4×4 tour? $80/adult $60/child
- Just want to Raft? $59/Adult $49/Child
- Rafting: Child is 4 to 11 and 30 lbs. 4×4 is all ages
- We adhere to Colorado Child Safety Seat Law
<1=Rear Facing, 1-3 Car Seat. Seats not provided
- Dress for everything; heat, rain or snow can happen all summer at 12,000ft.
- 8am Meet your 4×4 expert at the mouth of La Plata Canyon 16 miles west of Durango
Take 160 west 11 miles to CO Rd 124 (Hesperus) Turn right and travel 4.4 miles.
Park where the road becomes gravel in the Snow Plow Turn Around
- Spend 4 magical hours in the mountains enjoying the lore and the views. Snack included
- 11:30 – 12 noon Return to your vehicle, go get some lunch
- 1:30 Depart for your raft trip from our office. Please arrive 15 minutes before departure
- Halfway through we will stop and have a most awesome
snack of fresh fruit, chips & salsa and pure Weminuche Wilderness Water!
- 5:30 return to our office with plenty of time to enjoy downtown Durango and have dinner
- We will drive you to and from the river
- Quick-drying clothes: shorts, t-shirt, windbreaker
- Footwear that stays on, no flip-flops
- Bring sunscreen, bottled water, and a hat
4×4 combo tripadvisor review
This was our first time with Mountain waters and we had an amazing time. We did a jeep/rafting combo. Our guide was John and he was excellent in his job of maneuvering up that beautiful almost 12,000 ft. mountain. What a beautiful sight all the way up and back down. Then we continued our adventure with the 1/2 day of rafting. John again was the leader and is superior in what he does for this team. Thanks Mountain Waters for the very service oriented, fun, personal guides you have that made it the trip of a lifetime!