1 Day Upper Animas Rockwood Box Gorge Stretch, Class III-IV Photos
Run after the flows have peaked for the season and the Silverton & Needleton stretches become too low to raft. The 200 foot deep Rockwood Gorge is narrow enough and steep enough to provide exciting Class IV pool-drop rapids late into the summer! We access the gorge with a beautiful train ride into the canyon and end with a 1 mile hike 400 feet up to our waiting vehicle.
Upper Animas Rockwood Trip Details
- $450/person: Price includes train tickets, lunch, all rafting equipment, wetsuits, and the best guides on planet Earth!
- Guideline age minimum is 12-16 depending on flows.
- 3 PM the day before your trip for Orientation at our office at 303 W. College Dr.
- 07:45 – 08:30 ish: Meet, get your gear & depart for Rockwood by train from our office
- 08:45 – 10:30 ish: Ride the train to Tank Creek
- 10:30 – 11:30 ish: Ready rafts, safety orientation, dress for the river, launch trip
- 11:30 – 15:30 ish: Rockwood rafting and lunch
- 15:30 – 16:00 ish: Take out, change clothes, get ready for the hike
- 16:00 – 18:00 ish: 1 mile hike 400 feet up to our waiting vehicle
and drive back to Durango
Recommended 1 day Equipment
- Swimsuit for under the wetsuit
- Layers: synthetic shirt, fleece, underwear to complement the wetsuit
- Socks: wool or synthetic to wear with the booties
- Hat for under the helmet, sunscreen, sunglasses, water bottle
Upper Animas Trips Require:
- A sense of adventure and an honest assessment of your physical condition
- Reservations are required for all Upper Animas Trips so we can reserve the train
- Experience & age requirements fluctuate with water levels
- This trip has a mandatory orientation the day before at 3pm
reviewed June 2013
Just completed the Rockwood Gorge raft trip. Class IV rapids, unique canyon river experience. Probably the best rafting in the state if not the US. Knowledgeable guides, Dale Womack the lead guide is a local legend with 25 years guiding. Great food, great time, challenging rafting and hike out. Highly recommended!