Our most popular archaeology tour combined with the Durango Train
A UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1978 and considered the largest archaeological preserve and first cultural National Park in the country created in 1906 by president Roosevelt. Mesa Verde, Spanish for green table, offers a spectacular look into the lives of the Ancestral Pueblo people who made it their home for over 700 years, from AD 600 to 1300. Today the park protects nearly 5,000 known archaeological sites, including 600 cliff dwellings. These sites are some of the most notable and best preserved in the United States.
Our guide will customize the trip to your group. They bring a deep knowledge and passion to Mesa Verde adding historical, cultural and archaeological insights. They will stop at overlooks and sites during the one hour drive from the park entrance to the Museum and Ranger Guided Cliff Dwelling Tour. Transportation within the Park, entrance fees, ranger-guided tour tickets, a snack and ice cold water are included. Then it’s time to ride the world famous Durango Silverton Narrow Gauge Train back to Durango.
- 4.5 hour Mesa Verde Tour, shuttle to Train Station, 2 hour Train Ride
- $199/adult and $155/child
- Call or email for Group Discounts
- Child is is 4 to 11, car seats are not provided
- Arrive 20-30 minutes prior to departure
- 8:00am: Meet near Mesa Verde Park Entrance
- Go on interpretive tour of Mesa Verde’s best sites
- 12:30pm: Return to your car
- Get lunch on your own
- 2:00pm: Shuttle to Rockwood Train Station
- 3:00pm: Board Train and go for a ride through the scenic Rockwood Gorge
- 6:00pm: Arrive back in Durango on our courtesy shuttle
We booked the full day tour of Mesa Verde. Our guides Frank and Mike where fantastic! Our driver Cathy was awesome, so sweet and teaching us how dogs lost their ability to talk. 😉 As a bonus Carl, a rafting guide joined us on his day off to experience the tour himself; imparting knowledge of the area and having fun with our two older boys. Frank and Mike have so much local knowledge of the surrounding area as well as in depth knowledge of the park and the Ancestral Pueblo people that once inhabited it. We found ourselves walking away with even more questions than we had before and a hunger to return again and see more of this amazing area. The itinerary was relaxed and geared toward what we wanted to experience. Our guides remained flexible and we never felt rushed. This isn’t some prepackaged tour where the guide reads a script. These guides know their stuff and they share their passions and knowledge with you freely. Keep an open mind and you will learn about a people that lived in harmony with this special area. Getting to know our guides and hear their personal experiences and knowledge added so much to our experience. This is interactive, relaxed, extremely informative and above all FUN!!!!! We never would have learned so much trying to tour the park ourselves. We cannot wait to book another tour and experience more of this amazing, spiritual area. – David M
Why A Guided Tour of Mesa Verde National Park?
- Highly trained guides who are passionate about Mesa Verde
- Customized tour that visits only the best sights
- We purchase ranger-guided tour tickets days in advance to guarantee availability
- Smaller vehicles and guide-to-guest ratio provide access to parts of the park large tour buses cannot
- Carefree experience
- Did we mention the best guides on earth!