Our most popular mountain tour combined with the Durango Train
Unfortunately all Train Packages have been cancelled for the 2021 Season. We are able to reserve Train Tickets and split activities over multiple days.
Spend time high in the rarefied air of the La Plata range of the San Juan Mountains just 15 miles west of downtown Durango. This open air 4×4 vehicle winds up and through La Plata Canyon for 14 rugged miles reaching the majestic views from Kennebec Pass at over 12,000 ft. Along the way your guide will explain the canyon’s mining history such as the vanished La Plata City town site from 1875 and hear about characters like Olga Little, one of the world’s only woman mule skinner’s. Also learn about the native Ute people, the areas geology as well as flora and fauna of the San Juan Mountains. After a morning in the mountains, take our courtesy shuttle to Rockwood Train Station, and enjoy a ride to Cascade on the historic Durango Train!
La Plata Mountain Tour & Cascade Train Ride
- 4 hour Mountain Tour, shuttle to Train Station, 2 hour Train Ride
- $199/adult and $155/child
- Call or email for Group Discounts
- Child is is 4 to 11, car seats are not provided
- Arrive 20-30 minutes prior to departure
- 8:00am: Meet at the mouth of La Plata Canyon
- Go on interpretive tour up to 12,000 feet
- 12:00pm: Return to your car
- Get lunch on your own in Durango
- 2:00pm: Shuttle to Rockwood Train Station
- 3:00pm: Board Train and go for a ride through the scenic Rockwood Gorge
- 6:00pm: Arrive back in Durango on our courtesy shuttle
4×4 combo tripadvisor review
This was our first time with Mountain waters and we had an amazing time. We did a jeep/rafting combo. Our guide was John and he was excellent in his job of maneuvering up that beautiful almost 12,000 ft. mountain. What a beautiful sight all the way up and back down. Then we continued our adventure with the 1/2 day of rafting. John again was the leader and is superior in what he does for this team. Thanks Mountain Waters for the very service oriented, fun, personal guides you have that made it the trip of a lifetime!