Tour: the historic Durango-Silverton Train Ride
Package: add rafting in Durango and take the train one way
Train Package Discounts: 5% for 10-19 people * 10% for 20-29 * 15% for 30+
Packages can be broken up over multiple days to fit your schedule.
Reviews for the official D&SNGRR Raft & Rail Package
Train ride or Raft & Rail Package
Chosen by the D&SNG RR to provide this package, Mountain Waters is proud to offer the Raft & Rail Combo. The morning starts with the very popular family friendly raft trip in Durango. Afterwards we will transport you over the Magnificent San Juan Skyway to Silverton, CO where you will have time to have lunch and enjoy the sites and history of this amazing historic mining town. Then it’s time to ride the world famous Durango Silverton Narrow Gauge Train back to Durango. Kid tested and mom approved since 1981!
The Durango Silverton Narrow Gauge/Raft Video featuring Mountain Waters Rafting
- Raft & Rail Trip Details
8:30 Raft Trip, 11:00 Scenic Drive to Silverton for Lunch
2:30 Train Ride back to Durango
- Raft & Rail: $184/adult and $144/child
- Rafting: Child is 4 to 11 and 30 lbs, the train has no restrictions
- We recommend rafting in the morning to avoid the afternoon rains
of summer (known as the monsoons)
- When making your reservation choose either an open air gondola
(preferred by most) or enclosed rail car
- 8:30 Depart for your raft trip, please check in 15- 20 minutes before
at the MWR office at 303 W. College Dr.
- We will drive you to and from the river
- 10:30 Return to the MWR office to change for the drive to Silverton
- 11:00 Your friendly and knowledgeable driver will take you to the heart of Silverton via the million dollar highway
- 12:00 – 12:30 Arrive in Silverton, have lunch and see the sites on your own
- 2:30 The train departs for Durango, board 15-20 minutes before
- 6:00 Arrive back in Durango with plenty of time to dine and enjoy the historic downtown
- Rail & Raft Trip Details
8:45 Train Ride to Silverton for Lunch
2:00 Scenic Drive to Durango, 4:00 Raft Trip
- Rail & Raft: $184/adult and $144/child
- Rafting: Child is is 4 to 11 and 30 lbs, the train has no restrictions
- When making your reservation choose either an open air gondola (preferred by most) or enclosed rail car
- 08:45 The train leaves Durango for Silverton, please board 30 minutes before at the depot next door to McDonalds located a half block from the MWR office
- 12:15 Arrive in Silverton, train ride is about 3 1/2 hours
- 14:00 Your friendly and knowledgeable driver will meet you at 12th & Mineral to take you back to Durango via the million dollar highway
- 15:00 – 15:30 Arrive in Durango at the MWR office at 303 W. College Dr. to check in, change your clothes and get ready for the river!
- 16:00 Depart for your raft trip, we will drive you to and from the river
- 18:00 Arrive back at the MWR office with plenty of time to dine and enjoy the historic downtown
tripadvisor “Fun entertaining and safe”We had a group of 16 and did their rail and river package. It was well coordinated and fun. All the employees were professional and personable, they added to the experience. The train ride from Durango to Silverton was about 3 and a half hours with lots to see including, deer, prairie dogs and a fox. Riding on a coal fired steam locomotive is a real step back in to the past. Our return trip was on a bus supplied by Mountain Waters Rafting and driven by Ben. Taking the train back is a little redundant and eats up almost four more hours. Our driver Ben gave us some great advice for our next day’s trip to Telluride, “take the Gondola down from Mountain Village”, thanks Ben. The river raft trip was a lot of laughs and a little wet, which was expected. Our guide/group leader, Doug, is amazing. He is able to both keep you entertained as well as safe. He was in charge of the four rafts and always kept an eye on everyone. When one of the boats got stuck he jumped to action and got them loose.
Cancellation Policy for trips with the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Train
We conform to the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad cancellation policy. Train ticket refunds/Cancellations are subject to a fee of $14.00 per adult ticket and $7.00 per child ticket if cancelled 5 days before your reserved date. There are no refunds issued on reservations cancelled less than 5 days before your reserved date.